Do you wake up with a dry mouth? Does your mouth frequently feel sticky during the day? If so, you might be suffering from a condition known as xerostomia, commonly known as dry mouth. It may be important to understand the causes of your dry mouth because saliva can play several key functions in your oral health. It can help cleanse your mouth of food particles, aid in food digestion, help you chew and swallow and protect you from dental decay. If you suffer from dry mouth on a regular basis, these functions may become hindered.
There can be many reasons that you could suffer from xerostomia. Some of the most common causes of this condition could be from medications, certain conditions or diseases or being dehydrated overall. A dry mouth can be a known side effect for more than 400 medications. These drugs might limit the amount of saliva that your glands can produce. Similarly, some conditions and diseases could affect your saliva production. But perhaps the most common cause of dry mouth is simply dehydration.
If you’re frequently experiencing dry mouth in Sun City, Arizona, one of the first things you might do is to schedule an appointment with Dr. Daniel Donoho by calling 623-977-8323. Our dentist can provide you with a more in-depth and personalized treatment plan, but until then, you can do one of the following:
– Keep a water bottle by your bed at night.
– Chew some sugar-free gum, which can help promote your saliva production.
– Limit your caffeine and soda intake. These drinks can dehydrate you even more, even if they are rather tasty.
– Stop smoking or using tobacco products.
– Drink lots of water.
– Avoid mouthwashes with alcohol because it can dry out your mouth even more.
– Use a humidifier. This can make a dramatic difference for your symptoms. If you can’t humidify your entire house, you can at least use one at night for when you are sleeping.
We understand that xerostomia can be extremely uncomfortable. If you would like additional help with your dry mouth symptoms, we would love to see you at Donoho Dental Associates, PC .